Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!

It's Mardis Gras time! This is the King Cake that my son, Ethan, and I made yesterday. His French class will be celebrating Fat Tuesday today with all kinds of French/New Orleans food. It's the first time I've made one of these. I found this recipe on www.epicurious.com (although I used a different glaze recipe). There are a bunch of recipes out there but this one had the most flavoring added to it. I have no idea what's traditional.

Here is a picture of some of the steps: raw dough after being braided, baked dough (an egg wash made it shiny - not sure why I did this as it ends up getting covered by the glaze) and the final baked product.

2 comments:

Dani said...

Yummm...did you get to try any of it??

Michelle said...

Yes, I did try a small slice. It was different since all the cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon were incorporated into the dough. I didn't like all the crunchy sugar on top but that's what makes it so colorful and of course the kids liked that part. I think there are a lot of people out there would like it. I'd prefer coffee cake...